FAQ Long & short term boarding

How far in advance is it necessary to start a school search?

The story that English schools register newborns nowadays, is somewhat exaggerated, but not far from the truth – “the sooner the better” and at least 1 year before the start of school.



Which documents are required for the application ?

The list of required documents varies depending on the educational institution, as a rule, it is: a birth certificate, a copy of the child’s passport, sometimes parents, characteristics from the educational institution, various certificates, diplomas and awards, as well as marks for the last period of study. We advise clients on the complete list and on the format of each document.



Who will take care of my child while attending the boarding school?

Every school has guidance counselors and tutors who deal with the students’ problems and concerns. In the boarding houses, the house parents are always there for the students. A personal guardian can also be the person to turn to with questions. And you can be certain that we will be able to help you throughout your child’s stay.



What is a guardian?

When the student’s parents do not have a permanent place of residence in the UK, most schools ask the parents to name an adult guardian who will represent the parents during the term or school year. Guardianship can be assigned to a family member or friend. There are also agencies that offer this service at an additional charge. Some schools do not require their pupils to have a named guardian. We will advise you of the schools’ requirements and help you find a guardian if necessary.



What kind of school-leaving certificates are there?

All English students go to school until the academic year in which they turn sixteen, and then compulsory school education ends with the GCSE examinations. Most of the young adults in England and Wales then either decide to do A-level exams or the International Baccalaureate (IB). Most schools in Scotland offer the Scottish Highers and the equivalent in Ireland is the Leaving Certificate.



Do I need to have good grades in order to be accepted?

There are many different schools in the UK. Some are very academically demanding and expect excellent grades from applicants. However, there are other all-round schools that also accept and support teenagers with lesser grades.



Does my English have to be good?

You should certainly have some English skills, but the private schools in particular offer excellent language development opportunities for foreign students. Therefore, students whose English is not yet at a high level can apply with confidence.

Which subjects are offered?

Besides the core subjects such as maths, science and English, British schools offer a lot of more unusual subjects. For example, you can choose subjects like design and technology, psychology or business studies. However, subjects like Latin are less common, so you should let us know if specific subjects are important to you.



Which sports options are available?

Sports play an important role at English schools. They are offered as both leisure and high-performance options. There are opportunities to take part in nearly every sport; for example horse riding, golf, swimming, tennis or even sailing, judo or dance. The sports that have traditionally been most important in private boarding schools are rugby, rowing, hockey and cricket. We can certainly help you find a great school for football or for many other sports.



Is it possible to stay at the boarding school during the holidays?

That depends on the boarding school. Most boarding schools are closed during the holidays, as the students usually go home to their parents. However, some schools will allow students to stay during the holidays.



Is there a school uniform?

Students in the UK usually wear a school uniform until the end of the year in which they turn 16. After that, they are typically required to wear business clothing. In some schools students wear the uniform even longer.



Are there any scholarships available?

All private schools offer scholarships which are open to applicants from other countries. However the requirements are quite high and there is a strict deadline for applications. We will be delighted to offer our assistance with this.



How will my child get to the place where they will be staying?

The boarding schools offer transfers from and to the airport. Sometimes these are included in their standard prices, but sometimes there is an additional charge.